Monday, August 20, 2007

Orange Delights

This recipe comes from a cookbook that belonged to my grandmother. These cookies were great favourites of mine way from way back. When I make them here at home, I am instantly transported back to North Dakota and the comfort that cookies can give.



Orange Delights

¾ cup butter or margarine
1 ½ cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
grated rind of 1 large orange
½ teaspoon baking soda / bicarbonate of soda
½ cup sour milk or buttermilk
3 cups of plain flour
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder

Icing

2 cups of sifted icing sugar
2 tablespoons of orange juice and a bit of grated orange rind

Cream butter and sugar together, add eggs and beat. Add sour milk, orange rind, vanilla and flour. Drop by spoonfuls onto a baking tray. Bake at 375 F or 180 C until the cookies are golden brown.

In a separate bowl, mix the icing sugar and orange juice and rind. Adjust by adding more sugar or more orange juice so that the glaze gets to a nice spreading consistency.

If you ice the cookies when they are still warm, the icing will melt into a nice glaze.

Store the cookies in an airtight container, ensuring that the layers are separated by baking parchment or waxed paper because the icing will stick to everything.

1 comment:

Kell said...

I keep forgetting to run over and check what you've been making. I can't wait to make these! I want to try the pumpkin bars, too. And I think I'll roast a pumpkin, too, because I've always wanted to try that.