Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Bacon Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich (on white toast)

This is my all time favourite sandwich.

Start with white toast. I make the toast first and let it cool. If the toast is warm, the mayonnaise will melt. I don't want my mayonnaise melted too much. After the bread has been put in the toaster, I get that bacon frying.
Mmmm bacon! (said in a Homer Simpson style)
Slice those tomatoes. I am using tomatoes that have been plucked straight from the vine in my own greenhouse. Home grown tomatoes are the best! I seem to only make this sandwich when the tomatoes have ripened in the garden. The pink tennis balls on offer in supermarkets in the winter have no appeal. I'll wait until late summer thank you very much.

Now you may think this is strange but I really don't like tomatoes very much. I will never eat one raw. I won't eat the cherry tomatoes and tomato wedges that haunt salads. I think it's a texture thing. However, sliced thinly in sandwiches, they're okay and in the case of this particular sandwich, essential.

Spread mayonnaise on the toast and add the tomato slices, lettuce and crispy bacon strips. Put the top on the sandwich and cut it.

Man! You just can't beat that sandwich!
(You may notice the lack of lettuce in these photographs. It's raining outside and I don't want to go into the garden to get the lettuce because I'll get wet.)

No comments: